Welcome to La Casella

a really nice place to visit

A well-furnished, year-round apartment in a 300-year-old stone farmhouse, comfortable living room, king-size American bed and your own patio with a panorama of the Alpenines, quiet, private and affordable -- that's La Casella.

Click on the link to go the La Casella Web Site and a full description, photos and rates as well as personal essays on life in the timeless atmosphere of Medieval Italy by La Casella owner, Linda Richardson.

http://www.lacasellaumbria.com/


LINDA'S BLOG
Welcome! I've been a resident of Todi since 1986 and enjoy sharing my affection for Italy. This is not a diary, however; It's a whimsical distillation of one ex-pat's thoughts and experiences.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Letter to America

My Fellow Americans.

I could never say that on another day, but isn't this a thrill? I am not just happy for America; I'm happy for the whole world! I haven't been this excited since JFK won -- in defiance of my and my sister's upbringing. Most people in the world develop their political views based on those of their parents. I may be the sole exception on both sides of our particular family.

You know, just like many white voters this year, I concentrated on Barack Obama's opinions and goals. I lost sight of what Obama's victory would mean to black Americans. It wasn't until the camera showed Jesse Jackson in tears that all the emotions of the fight for civil rights and everything that happened in that era came flooding back to me. I cried, too. I cried for Martin, for Jack, for Bobby and for all black Americans who have endured racial prejudice for so long. Now they can truthfully tell their kids that nothing is impossible and yes, you too can grow up to be president. Think of how Obama's victory will encourage black kids to stay in school, encourage their parents to parent more believedly with such a high example, encourage rappers to write better lyrics about America. The possibilities are endless.

How can we forget that we are all immigrants and how can we realize that it no long matters where we originally came from? I am hopeful that we, white middle-class -- or, economically UPPER middle class -- are grateful enough and open-minded enough to remember our own roots. If one has an annual income of $270,000, isn't it possible to find $50 to throw into our democratic society's common pot?

Barack's campaign was flawless and the most satisfying I've ever participated in, although this time my help was marginal because I'm in Italy. I think he became a true statesman on the day he won the Democratic nomination and he has not strayed from the high ground since. I originally supported Hillary, but it wasn't long before I realized that Barack is the right person for the job at this time. He's a born leader and this is his moment to shine. Of course, he has an incredibly difficult -- if not impossible -- agenda. We all know how hard it will be to undo eight years of corruption and regression and to keep Americans inspired and willing to do their share. However, we have a solid majority in Congress and although we lack five seats to end filibustering in the Senate chamber, I'll bet Obama has already wooed a number of Republicans who will vote with him on many issues. Unlike Hillary, he hasn't been in national politics long enough to make enemies. When he gave the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic Convention I thought, "Wow! What a cute, (maybe too serious) young guy. He's someone to watch." Little did any of us guess what a short time we'd spend just watching him.


Excuse me. I keep saying "we" when I know perfectly well that some of you have often voted Republican. However, maybe "we" is still the right word. Time will tell how the GOP members of Congress respond without Bush and Chaney telling them what to do. Maybe we will even undo the current administration's intrusion into our private lives.

As an example of how damn good and thorough Obama's campaign was, listen to this: minutes before Obama and Michelle and girls walked onto the stage in Chicago, a CNN announcer said that before Obama left his hotel room he'd sent out an email to every American who had supported him, either by volunteering or through donations. Just as a lark, I checked Outlook Express and, by golly, there was my very own letter! Here's a copy so you can enjoy it along with me and the other 90 million Americans who received the same note. Or were you one of them?

----Messaggio originale----Da: info@barackobama.com
Data: 05/11/2008 5.31A: "Linda Richardson
Ogg: How this happened

-->

Linda -- I'm about to head to Grant Park to talk to everyone gathered there, but I wanted to write to you first. We just made history. And I don't want you to forget how we did it. You made history every single day during this campaign -- every day you knocked on doors, made a donation, or talked to your family, friends, and neighbors about why you believe it's time for change. I want to thank all of you who gave your time, talent, and passion to this campaign. We have a lot of work to do to get our country back on track, and I'll be in touch soon about what comes next. But I want to be very clear about one thing... All of this happened because of you. Thank you, Barack


Is that cool, or what?

Oh, yeah, I went to bed at 20.30 last night and set my alarm clock for 02.00 this morning. I had just gone to sleep when a storm hit and the thunder woke me up. That was the end of that. So I stayed up all night, glued to the TV, and went to sleep about 06.00 for a few hours. Waiting for the results seemed to drag on forever and then everything happened so fast. Incredible. A 2 to 1 popular vote. And so many voters and no aching disputes. Good for the country.

We had a small, but powerful, celebration this evening at the "Circolo" in my next-door village of Acqualoreto. Only about six Americans in my neighborhood are in residence now, but Italian spouses plus another 8-10 European foreigners joined the party. I took a couple of bottles of Prosecco (dry Italian sparkling) and there was enough for a toast with the "locals" who dropped in. They were excited, too! I even wore a fancy red tee shirt I have with the word "Americana" embroidered on top. I have been too embarrassed to wear it for the past eight years. No one wanted to stay after 21.00 because we'd either been up all night or had arisen at 05.00. We all came home to try and calm down.


With gratitude,
Linda

P.S. In 2016 we're going to elect a female Hispanic-American!


No comments: